I am an evolutionary ecologist who studies rapid evolutionary changes in natural populations and communities, as a response to environmental challenges. Parasites are ubiquitous and impose strong selection on their hosts to evolve resistance. Parasites are likewise under strong selection to undermine host defenses. Host-parasite interactions therefore provide the perfect empirical framework within which to study rapid evolution.
See our group webpage.
- 2012: Habilitation (Evolutionary Ecology), Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU), Germany
- 2006: PhD (Evolutionary Ecology), Eawag/ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2001: MSc (Environmental Protection), Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
- 1999: BSc (Environmental Protection), Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
- Since 2015: Professor for Aquatic Evolutionary Ecology, Freie Universität Berlin (FU), Germany
- Since 2014: Research Group Leader, IGB Berlin, Germany
- 2008-2014: Assistant Professor, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU), Germany
- 2006-2008: Postdoc Research Fellow, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA
Grants, Academic Service, Teaching
Scientific grants (as PI)
- 2018-2021 (3 years): DFG (German-Israeli collaboration): “The evolution of virulence under conditions of frequent multiple infections”.
- 2017-2020 (3 years): DFG & SNF (German-Swiss collaboration): “Host-parasite interactions in hybridizing Daphnia, from correlations to experiments”.
- 2013-2016 (3 years): DFG (proposal integrated within a Priority Program: Host-parasite coevolution; rapid reciprocal adaptation and its genetic basis): “Red Queen dynamics in Daphnia; revealing evolutionary change in a parasite population”.
- 2012-2015 (3 years): DFG & SNF (German-Swiss collaboration): “Host-parasites interactions in Daphnia: the role of variable environments”.
- 2012-2015 (3 years): DFG (proposal integrated within a Research Unit: Natural selection in structured populations): “The role of hybridization in the colonization of newly opened habitats”.
- 2010-2013 (3 years): DFG “Facing multiple enemies: trade-offs between adaptive responses to predators and parasites in the context of inducible defences”.
- 2010-2013 (3 years): DFG (proposal integrated within a Priority Program: Host-parasite coevolution; rapid reciprocal adaptation and its genetic basis): “Red Queen dynamics in Daphnia: the role of variable environments. Part 2”.
- 2009-2010 (1 year): DFG “Red Queen dynamics in Daphnia: the role of variable environments. Part 1”.
Scientific grants (as Host)
- 2017 (1 year): International IGB Fellowship Program - Tatiana Semenova: “DNA-metabarcoding of plankton communities” (postdoc stipend)
- 2016 (1 year): International IGB Fellowship Program - Melanie Gerphagnon: “Chytrid: an overlooked transfer agent of matter and energy in aquatic foodwebs” (postdoc stipend)
- 2016-2017 (2 year): Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation - Ramsy Agha: “Host-parasite coevolution in asexually-reproducting host” (postdoc stipend)
- 2016 (6 months): German Academic Exchange Service DAAD - Marcin Dziuba: "Climate change impact on Daphnia-parasite interaction in D. longispina species complex" (PhD stipend)
- 2014-2015 (2 years): German Academic Exchange Service DAAD (CONACYT: cooperation program with Mexico) - Federico Castro Monzon: "Parasite-driven demographic changes across evolutionary timescales" (PhD stipend)
- 2010-2011 (2 years): Bayerische Eliteförderung - Olivia Hesse: "The effect of multiple stressors on Daphnia" (PhD stipend)
(I helped to write and / or defend these proposals in front of the funding committee)
- 2010-2012 (3 years): VolkswagenStiftung: Munich Graduate School Evolution, Ecology and Systematics (EES)
- 2011-2013 (3 years): EU funding: Erasmus Mundus Master Programme in Evolutionary Biologe (MEME); partner universities: Munich, Groningen, Uppsala, Montpellier and Harvard
- Editorial Board: Journal of Evolutionary Biology (2010-2013 and 2015-present); BMC Evolutionary Biology (2015-present)
- Reviewer for Scientific Journals: Evolution, Evolution Letters, Ecology, Am Nat, Proc R Soc B, Mol Ecol, Funct Ecol, Biol Lett, BMC Biology, Mol Biol Evol, Int J Parasitol, J Anim Ecol, Oecologia, Oikos, Biol Invasions, FEMS Microbiol Ecol, Freshw Biol, PLoS ONE, Evol Ecol, Ecol Res, Parasitology, Dis Aquat Org, J Eukaryot Microbiol, Aquat Biol, Aquat Ecol, Aquat Sci, Hydrobiologia, Zoology, Acta Zool Acad Sci Hung, Sensors, Trop Biomed
- Reviewer for Funding Agencies: National Science Foundations (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Israel, Poland and USA), Humboldt Foundation (Germany), National Geographic Society (USA), Graduate Women in Science (USA)
Teaching at IGB
Experimental and Theoretical Evolutionary Ecology (MSc level) – lecture, seminar and practical classes
Biotic Interactions in a Changing World (MSc level) – lecture and seminar
12-13.12.17 - Justyna is visiting lab of Slawek Cerbin, at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan. She gives a talk at the department seminar series.
06.12.17 - Manja defended her PhD thesis at the FU: "Community and population dynamics in lakes under global change". Congratulations!
26.11.17 - our experimental study on how Daphnia reacts to microplastics got published; available here. This study resulted from collaboration with the group of Christian Laforsch from University of Bayreuth.
21.11.17 - another experimental study resulting from collaboration with the group of Bruno B. Castro got published; our study shows that temperature acts as a modulator of interactions between pollution and disease. Available here.
17-20.11.17 - Prof. Adam Petrusek (Charles University of Prague) is visiting our lab. We are discussing next steps regarding our "Daphnia-microsporidia" project.
10.11.17 - Maja Grubisic got funding for one-year postdoc (DRS HONORS fellowship), to work with us and with a group of Franz Hölker. Maja will study the potential effects of artificial light at night on benthic primary producers. Maja's project starts in January 2018.
23.10.17 - paper of Ana Cuco, Bruno B. Castro et al. (our Portuguese collaborators) is out; our study suggests that fungicide contamination can affect the severity and spread of disease in aquatic systems. Available here.
01.10.17 - Yile Tao starts his PhD: "Role of parasitic chytrids in regulating cyanobacterial blooms". Yile's PhD is funded by FUB-CSC Programm. Yile, warm welcome!
24-29.09.17 - Manja, Yameng and Justyna present their work at the Cladocera Conference in Kulmbach, Germany.
03-08.09.17 - Melanie and Ramsy give talks at SAME15 (15th Symposium on Aquatic Microbial Ecology) in Zagreb, Croatia.
31.07.17 - Melanie is going back to France, after having stayed one year with us (IGB Fellowship Programme); Melanie, you will be missed!
16.06.17 - paper of Ramsy et al. is out! Congratulations!! "Integrating chytrid fungal parasites into plankton ecology. Research gaps and needs". This opinion paper provides a perspective view on possible directions of future research about chytrids parasitizing phytoplankton. Available here.
01-02.06.17 - Prof. Adam Petrusek (Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic) is visiting our lab. Justyna is collaborationg with him (as well as with Justyna's former PhD student, Mingbo Yin) on the following project: “Genetic diversity and phylogeography of the Asian Daphnia”.
15-16.05.17 - Yameng and Justyna attend 'Introduction to evolutionary biology for infection biologists' workshop (organized by IZW). Justyna teaches about host-parasites coevolution and evolution of virulence.
12-14.05.17 - Justyna attends "I scientist" conference in Berlin (on gender, career paths and networking). The conference's mission is to to increase visibility of female role models and raise awareness of unconscious biases. During the Networking Breakfast, she serves as an expert on how to combine science and family.
12.05.17 - last working day of Tanya (Tatiana Semanova); she is leaving for the US (postdoc position at the University of Kansas). We all wish you good luck!
16-18.03.17 - Manja, Ramsy and Justyna attend "Conflict and cooperation – bridging evolution, ecology and immunology" meeting in Bautzen, Germany. Manja and Ramsy give talks.
07-11.02.17 - Manja presents her work at the "Young Natural History Scientists' Meeting" in France, Paris.
02.02.17 - fantastic news: our grant proposal ("The evolution of virulence under conditions of frequent multiple infections", submitted together with Frida Ben-Ami from Tel Aviv University) got funded by the DFG. This project will start in January 2018.
30-31.01.17 - kick-off meeting for "Host-parasite interactions in hybridizing Daphnia" project. Place: Eawag, Dübendorf, Switzerland. Lab-Attendees: Yameng, Anurag and Justyna.
17-18.01.17 - kick-off meeting for "DNA-metabarcoding of plankton communities" project. Place: Villa Ehrlich, Berlin. Lab-Attendees: Tatiana, Uschi, Elisabeth and Justyna.
12.01.17 – Dr. Dominik Martin-Creuzburg (University of Konstanz, Germany) is visiting our lab. We are collaborating with him on the following project: “Chytrid: an overlooked transfer agent of matter and energy in aquatic food webs”.
10.01.17 - welcoming a new lab member: Tatiana Semanova (postdoc); the launch of a new project: "DNA-metabarcoding of plankton communities".
02.01.17 – welcoming two new lab members: Yaming Lu (postdoc) and Anurag Mishra (PhD student); the launch of a new project: "Host-parasite interactions in hybridizing Daphnia - from correlations to experiments".
08-12.12.16 – Dr. Bruno B. Castro (University of Minho, Portugal) and Ana Cuco (Bruno’s PhD student) are visiting our lab. We are collaborating with them on the following project: “Interaction between fungi-mediated processes and pollution”.
14.11.16 - paper of Manja et al. is out! Congratulations!! This was the very first Daphnia experiment conducted in our new lab (i.e. after our group had moved here from LMU Munich). Available here.
27.10.16 – Alina Gross gave a final talk on her MSc project entitled: “Measurement of parasite fitness under temperature variation and assessment of adaptation of the chytrid Rhizophydium megarrhizum”. Congratulations!
21.10.16 – Jakub Rusek defended his PhD thesis: “Development of molecular tools to study Daphnia-parasite dynamics”. Congratulations! Jakub is now working in Brussels, for science policy.
13.10.16 – paper of Ramsy and Manja is out; our first publication on cyanobacteria (host) – chytrid (parasite) system! Available here.