Would you like to expand your research in freshwater science or inland fisheries? Are you highly motivated to put your new ideas into research action? Are you keen on working abroad to engage with an interdisciplinary team of scientists dedicated to advance freshwater ecology, inland fisheries or related areas? Or, are you looking for unique research facilities that can help address emerging questions for the benefit of freshwaters?
We cordially invite you to apply for a research visit at IGB. Berlin, the vibrant capital of Germany, is an attractive science location, where you will find stimulating working conditions, excellent infrastructure and open-minded colleagues with a wide range of backgrounds in ecology, evolutionary biology, microbiology, Ecohydrology, chemistry, behavioural ecology, genomics, inland fisheries and aquaculture. Alternatively, we offer opportunities at IGB’s location on Lake Stechlin one hour north of Berlin where the LakeLab, a unique field experimental facility, is located. The working language at IGB is English.
About the postdoctoral programme
There are three deadlines per year (15 February and 15 September). We offer positions to postdoctoral scientists for up to 24 months. These positions are intended as an opportunity to join IGB to develop and implement original research ideas, interact with staff and students at IGB and apply for follow-up funding. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. We offer a one-time fee of 1200 € travel allowance and 3600 € (300 € per month) additional bench fee that can also be used for workshop and conference attendance and travelling.
Criteria and first contact
Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a concept on how to spend your time at IGB, bearing in mind the objectives of the Frontiers in Freshwater Science programme and the interest of your hosts. The following links to IGB’s six departments may help to identify suitable hosts to pursue your ideas:
- Ecosystem Research
- Experimental Limnology
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- Chemical Analytics and Biogeochemistry
Checklist for required documents
- Your CV, including a complete list of publications
- Certificate of your doctoral degree
- A motivation letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- Your ideas for research to be conducted at IGB, outlining your aims and proposed activities (max. 2 pages)
- A letter of support by your host(s), including appreciation for the candidate and the proposed work, complementarity to the expertise of the host group and added value for IGB (max. 1 page)
- Optional: recommendations letter(s), if regarded useful by the host
Application and selection process
The deadlines for applications are 15 February and 15 September each year. Submission of the documents is only possible through the IGB host. The selection for the positions is highly competitive. The following evaluation criteria apply:
- Scientific record and potential to reach the aims of the proposal
- Scientific excellence of the proposed work
- Prospects on added value for the group and IGB as a whole
A selection committee at IGB will recommend the most promising applications to the executive board of the institute. The awardees will be notified no later than eight weeks after the application deadline. IGB is committed to increasing the proportion of women in science and particularly encourages female scientists to apply. Disabled persons with equal qualifications will be favoured.
Postdoctoral positions are paid according to the German TVöD salary scheme for scientists in public research institutions (Labour Agreement of the Public Service), including social security and health insurance.