Stella A. Berger
Population dynamics, food web interactions, lakes and coastal oceans, multiple stressors, climate change, mixotrophy, winter limnology, biodiversity, ecological stoichiometry, network of international mesocosm facilities
- 2016 - present: Research Group Leader & Scientific Coordinator-LakeLab, Leibniz-Institute of Aquatic Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), Stechlin, Germany
- 2014 - 2015 LakeLab Manager, Leibniz-Institute of Aquatic Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), Stechlin, Germany
- 2011 - 2014 Research Professional IV, Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, Savannah, USA
- 2010 - 2012 Research Scientist, University of Bergen, Norway
- 2005 - 2010 Postdoc, Aquatic Ecology Group, Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU), Munich, Germany
- 2001 Visiting PhD Student, Max-Plank Institute of Limnology, Plön, Germany
- 2000 - 2005 PhD Student, Aquatic Ecology Group, LMU, Munich, Germany
- 1991 - 1999 Diploma Student (B.C., M.Sc. equiv.) in Biology, LMU, Munich, Germany
- 1988 - 1991 Apprenticeship as Professional Photographer with certificate, Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany
2014 and earlier
Calbet A, AF Sazhin, JC Nejstgaard, SA Berger, ZS Tait, L Olmos, D Sousoni, S Isari, RA Martinez, J-M Bouquet, EM Thompson, U Båmstedt, HH Jakobsen (2014). Future climate scenarios for a coastal productive planktonic food web resulting in microplankton phenology changes and decreased trophic transfer efficiency. PLoS ONE 9(4): e94388. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0094388.
Winder M, SA Berger, A Lewandowska, N Aberle, K Lengfellner, U Sommer, S Diehl (2012). Spring phenological responses of marine and freshwater plankton to changing temperature and light conditions. Marine Biology 159: 2491-2501.
Sebastian P, H Stibor, SA Berger, S Diehl (2012) Effects of water temperature and mixed layer depth on zooplankton body size. Marine Biology 159: 2431-2440.
Calbet A, RA Martínez, S Isari, S Zervoudaki, JC Nejstgaard, P Pitta, AF Sazhin, D Sousoni, A Gomes, SA Berger, TM Tsagaraki, R Ptacnik (2012). Effects of light availability on mixotrophy and microzooplankton grazing in an oligotrophic plankton food web: Evidences from a mesocosm study in Eastern Mediterranean waters. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 424-425: 66-77.
Berger SA, S Diehl, H Stibor, G Trommer, M Ruhenstroth (2010). Water temperature and stratification depth independently shift cardinal events during plankton spring succession. Global Change Biology 16:1954-1965.
Berger SA, S Diehl, H Stibor, G Trommer, M Ruhenstroth, A Wild, A Weigert, CG Jäger, M Striebel (2007). Water temperature and mixing depth affect timing and magnitude of events during spring succession of the plankton. Oecologia 150: 643-654.
Berger SA, S Diehl, TJ Kunz, D Albrecht, AM Oucible, S Ritzer (2006). Light supply, plankton biomass, and seston stoichiometry in a gradient of lake mixing depths. Limnology and Oceanography 51:1898-1905
Diehl S, SA Berger, R Wöhrl (2005). Flexible nutrient stoichiometry mediates environmental influences on phytoplankton and its abiotic resources. Ecology 86:2931-2945
Ptacnik R, S Diehl, SA Berger (2003). Performance of sinking and nonsinking phytoplankton taxa in a gradient of mixing depths. Limnology and Oceanography 48:1903-1912
Diehl S, SA Berger, R Ptacnik, A Wild (2002) Phytoplankton, light and nutrients in a gradient of mixing depths: field experiments. Ecology 83: 399-411