We offer the following apprenticeships at IGB:
- Office Manager
- Computer Science Expert subject area: System Integration
- Chemical Laboratory Technician
- Biology Laboratory Technician
Each year, we offer a limited number of internships.
These can be either mandatory internships (for pupils and students) or voluntary internships for a duration of up to four weeks. Longer periods can also be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
Interns can be deployed in any of IGB’s research departments. Please send your application dossier, containing a letter of motivation, Curriculum Vitae and certificates, as a single pdf file by email to the secretary’s office of the department that interests you:
- (Dept. 1) Ecohydrology
- (Dept. 2) Ecosystem Research
- (Dept. 3) Experimental Limnology
- (Dept. 4) Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- (Dept. 5) Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- (Dept. 6) Chemical Analytics and Biogeochemistry
Our secretaries will then forward your documents to the relevant members of staff. After reviewing whether we will be able to accept you for the specified period, we will contact you. We look forward to receiving your application at any time of the year!
Internship ‘Ecosystem services of inland waters and floodplains’
In addition, we regularly offer students from Germany and abroad internships on the topic of ‘Ecosystem services of inland waters and floodplains’.
The range of tasks includes:
- Involvement in interesting interdisciplinary research projects on the topic of ecosystem services and freshwaters
- Tackling work elements on these projects by carrying out research, preparing and analysing data, drawing up a report text, and helping to organise events
- Expert support, with the option of undertaking independent work, with regular feedback from the team
- Engagement in a motivating working environment and an international research group
Suitable branches of study include biology, hydrology, geoecology, environmental sciences, geography and environmental economics. No payments are made for internships.
Bachelor or master's thesis
IGB offers the opportunity to write your Bachelor or Master’s thesis, provided that both sides express a mutual interest and a suitable topic is available. Please contact the relevant scientists from the departments.
Voluntary ecological year (FÖJ)
Young people also have the opportunity to serve a voluntary ecological year at IGB, starting on 1 September each year. In this context, we work closely with the supporting organisations Jugendwerk Aufbau Ost (JAO) and Vereinigung Junger Freiwilliger (VJF).
Volunteers can choose to engage in various working groups in any of the following areas:
- Breeding and reintroducing the sturgeon/aquaculture
- Fish behaviour/individual behaviour, swarming behaviour and animal welfare
- Fish diseases/ecotoxicology
- Fish diseases/parasitology
- Fisheries management and angling
Tasks include daily animal care, feeding and cleaning, as well as laboratory work related to preparing experiments, sampling, processing and treating samples, analysing water and independently conducting other minor laboratory analyses. Data acquisition and maintenance as well as preliminary data analyses are also among the tasks to be completed in most of the research teams. In the course of the year, the opportunity may also arise to participate in field work for several days. In addition, all volunteers are warmly invited to attend scientific lectures and presentations which are held once or twice a week.
Our volunteers gain insight into:
- scientific work for career guidance
- laboratory skills, experimental field work, handling chemicals
- the responsible handling of laboratory animals
- independent experimental setup and sample treatment
- involvement in experimental procedure, data acquisition and data evaluation
Your contact person at IGB is Asja Vogt. If you are interested in serving a Voluntary Ecological Year at IGB, please first contact one of the two supporting organisations:
Jugendwerk Aufbau Ost JAO gGmbH
Voluntary Ecological Year
Landsberger Allee 565, 12679 Berlin
Tel.: + 49 30 535 39 77
Fax: + 49 30 530 118 59
Vereinigung Junger Freiwilliger
Berliner Allee 59/61, 13088 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 42850603
Fax: +49 30 42850604