Die Informationen stehen nur auf Englisch zur Verfügung.
Would you like to expand your research in freshwater science or inland fisheries? Are you highly motivated to put your new ideas into research action? Are you keen on working abroad to engage with an interdisciplinary team of scientists dedicated to advance freshwater ecology, inland fisheries or related areas? Or are you looking for unique research facilities that can help address emerging questions for the benefit of freshwaters?
We cordially invite you to apply for a postdoctoral research position at IGB. Berlin, the vibrant capital of Germany, is an attractive science location, where you will find stimulating working conditions, excellent infrastructure and open-minded colleagues with a wide range of backgrounds in freshwater science and inland fisheries. Alternatively, we offer opportunities at IGB’s location on Lake Stechlin, one hour north of Berlin, where the LakeLab, a unique field experimental facility, is located. The working language at IGB is English.
About the postdoctoral programme
There default deadline is 1 March each year; potentially a second deadline is opened for 1 October.
We offer positions to postdoctoral scientists for up to 12 months. These positions are intended as an opportunity to join IGB to develop and implement original research ideas, interact with staff and students at IGB and apply for follow-up funding. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. We offer a one-time travel allowance (1200 €) and a bench fee (300 € per month) in addition to the salary. The bench fee can be used for workshop and conference attendance as well.
Requirements and first contact
Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a concept on how to spend your time at IGB, bearing in mind the objectives of the Frontiers in Freshwater Science programme and fit of the proposal idea within IGB’s research scope. The following links to IGB’s five departments may help to identify suitable hosts to pursue your ideas:
- Ecohydrology and Biogeochemistry
- Community and Ecosystem Ecology
- Plankton and Microbial Ecology
- Fish Biology, Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Evolutionary and Integrative Ecology
Checklist for required documents
- Your CV, including a complete list of publications
- Certificate of your doctoral degree
- A motivation letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- Your ideas for research to be conducted at IGB, outlining your aims and proposed activities (max. 2 pages)
- A letter of support by your host(s), including appreciation for the candidate and the proposed work, complementarity to the expertise of the host group and added value for IGB, and including a statement on the English language proficiency (max. 1 page)
- Optional: recommendations letter(s), if regarded useful by the host
Application and selection process
The deadlines for applications are 1 March (and potentially 1 October) each year. Submission of the documents is only possible through the IGB host. The selection for the positions is highly competitive. The following evaluation criteria apply:
- Scientific potential to reach the aims of the proposal
- Scientific excellence of the proposed work
- Prospects on developing a full project to acquire additional funds
The Frontiers in Freshwater Science programme welcomes candidates that aim to develop their proposed research further through additional applications on the same topic and thus create a multiplicative effect.
IGB especially welcomes applications by female scientists. Our goal is to fill two-thirds of the positions within the Frontiers in Freshwater Science programme with excellent female researchers. Disabled persons with equal qualifications will be favoured.
A selection committee at IGB will recommend the most promising applications to the executive board of the institute. The awardees will be notified no later than eight weeks after the application deadline. IGB is committed to increasing the proportion of women in science and particularly encourages female scientists to apply.
Postdoctoral positions are paid according to the German TVöD salary scheme for scientists in public research institutions (Labour Agreement of the Public Service), including social security and health insurance. We also offer a one-time travel allowance (1200 €) and a bench fee (300 € per month). The bench fee can be used for workshop and conference attendance as well.
* extra time is granted for
- Female candidates with childcare obligations: 2 years/child
- Care obligations in general (i.e. leave of absence or work time reduced for caretaking of family members): up to 1 year
- Disability/chronic disease: up to 2 years, depending on the individual circumstances